What the priests did when they entered the tabernacle [i.e. copy of the heavenly tabernacle] was a kind of pre-enactment of the ascension.
- Moses is the mediator between God and His people; Jesus is the true mediator between God and His people.
- Moses ascends up a mountain into the clouds; Jesus ascends through the clouds into heaven itself.
- Moses is shown a copy of the heavenly tabernacle which he replicates on earth; Jesus ascends to enter the real thing, the heavenly tabernacle.
- The priest comes before God through the blood of sacrifice; Jesus ascends to come before God on our behalf through His own sacrificial blood.
- The priest comes into God’s presence through a cloud of incense; Jesus passes through the clouds of heaven.
- The priest comes before God bearing jewels that represent the names of God’s people; Jesus ascends to come before God on our behalf and in our names.